Good morning, and thanks for spending part of your day with Extra Points.
Thanks so much for your patience this week. The transition from Substack to Ghost was a much bigger technical lift than I anticipated, and there have been a few bumps in the road. But I am still confident that big picture, this is going to make for a better newsletter.
A few quick announcements:
- I offer 50% off discounts for folks affiliated with a lot of different colleges. I now have a landing page that tracks all of those discounts. Please check this page before you buy a subscription. If you have a university email for Alabama, BYU, Northwestern, Ohio State, Samford, South Carolina, Michigan, and a bunch of other programs, you can use one of those discount codes to get 50% off your price. Please feel free to share those codes with anybody in your network that might be interested in them. They're good for undergraduates, staffers, coaches, alumni, etc.
- I will set up a custom discount code for any school, conference office or business that shows enough interest. Shoot me an email at Sales@ExtraPointsMB.com and we can build one for your classroom or team.
- It looks like exporting the paid subscriptions from Substack to Ghost went smoothly for almost everybody, but if you bought a subscription to Extra Points in the last ten days or so, there's a chance it didn't port correctly. Feel free to shoot me an email at Matt@ExtraPointsmb.com if believe you should have access to this week's paid posts, but can't access them. Also, if you recently bought a sub and want some free stickers, please email me your address, and I'll get those shipped out right away.
- I want to draw attention again to our FOIA Database. Right now, I have over 70 itemized budget reports for D-I institutions uploaded, along with dozens of school apparel contracts, coach contracts and game contracts. More documents are being added daily. This service is completely free, and I encourage you to take a look and share it with your friends and colleagues. If you have documents you'd like to share, send 'em my way.
- Paid Extra Points readers got two other newsletters this week. We published an update on where state level NIL legislation sits at the moment, and how the latest proposed federal bill fits in with other proposed legislation. We also published an examination of the Pac-12's reported consideration of hiring two commissioners. I'll go ahead and spoil this one for you. I think that idea is bad. You can make sure you get access to every Extra Points newsletter AND access to our Discord Channel by upgrading to a paid subscription.
Paid subscriptions paid for the FOIA fees to collect all of that financial data. They pay for developers, freelance writers, podcast hosting, subscriptions, and a bunch of other expenses that go into producing stories you want to read. If you enjoy Extra Points, please consider a subscription.
The latest episode of Going For Two is now out
If I did everything correctly, you should be able to listen to the podcast right here in the newsletter, but you can also subscribe and listen to it on your phones and whatnot.
In this episode, Bryan and I take a closer look at the potential expansion of the College Football Playoff. Specifically, we discuss:
- How potential College Football Playoff Expansion might impact not just the P5, but the G5, FCS, and potential FCS->FBS expansion plans.
- Whether we like six, eight, 12 or 16 team playoff expansion plans the best.
- Why this is happening now, and when it could potentially actually go into effect.
- What it might mean for recruiting, for the regular season, and more.
I'm pretty excited for next week's episode, where we delve into collegiate esports, with an expert that I am certain knows more about esports than Bryan or myself.
We'll be back to action next week. I'm going to take a day to recover from my second vaccine shot, upload some more FOIAs, and then get ready to share some interesting interviews I've conducted, documents I've obtained, and stories that are worth reading about college athletics.
Today’s Extra Points is sponsored by Proper Good.
Proper Good makes the tastiest and healthiest zero-prep meals you could ever wish for - made with ultra-clean and functional ingredients, zero added sugar, and they’re ready to eat in just 90-seconds... plus there's no fridge needed so enjoy at home or on-the-go at work, just tear the top off and pop in the microwave. With 1,000's of 5-star reviews and options for Plant-Based, Keto, Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free lifestyles, we've got your healthy quick lunches and dinners covered!
Thanks again for your support of Extra Points. If you enjoyed this newsletter, why not share it with some friends?
If you’d like to sponsor future newsletters or podcasts, or would like to secure a 50% discount code for your classroom, school or organization, drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. For article feedback, story ideas, FOIA tips, exciting rumors, hate mail and more, I’m at email@example.com or @MattBrownEP on Twitter dot com.